Updates and Meeting Minutes from TSC+Developer bi-weekly


Brenden Blanco <bblanco@...>
 

Hello, iovisor-dev,

Since this list just got set up, we'll play a bit of catch-up.

First, if you haven't yet and would like to, please sign yourself up on
http://lists.iovisor.org/mailman/listinfo/iovisor-dev.

To send to this mailing list you must register, but the archives can be
read by anyone.

================

Wednesday, Sept 02 2015 was the first bi-weekly TSC+Developer meeting.

Meeting minutes are unfortunately sparse, however the slides from the
discussion are now available in https://github.com/iovisor/bpf-docs
under the tsc-meeting-minutes/2015-09-02 folder.

================

Wednesday, Sept 16 2015 was the 2nd bi-weekly TSC+Developer meeting.

1) Keith spent the first half of the meeting presenting Open Daylight's
Group Based Policy (GBP)
- The presentation slides are available at [1].
- A proposal that comes out of that presentation is to showcase an
integration between ODL+GBP on the control plane side and IOV on the
data plane side. There was consensus that such an integration is
interesting and useful.
- We will finalize (offline) the YAML model for the GBP DP
- Keith to write a renderer in ODL for IOV-based GBP
- PG to write the DP implementation of GBP
- Will schedule a meeting early next week to close the data
structure/yaml/json details
- documentation to be sent to this list

2) Brenden covered thoughts on the design of IOModules, whats been done
so far and what is planned.
- The presentation slides are available at [2].
- Mihai had comments based on the requirements of the P4->IOVisor
compiler discussed during the week. Slides for that are available at
[3].
- We have yet to close the definition of an IOModule
- So far, we are taking a bottoms-up approach, acknowledging that the
design may change when taking other hardwares/backends into
account.
- Working to close the definition of the network specific definition
of IFC (other types to come in the future, e.g. storage).
- Need to define and abstract the way IOModules will be connected,
the current raw approach of attaching eBPF programs to TC/netdev is
too primitive.
- IOModule should capture linux building blocks such as LB, router
namespace, be able to connect them to eBPF programs seamlessly.
- Plan is to make some of these definitions concrete with the GBP
implementation.
- Mentioned fuse approach as one possible way to create generic,
non-networking approach to composing IOModules.
- Demo code is available at https://github.com/iovisor/bcc-fuse.
- Possible to give eBPF programs permissions
- How do we do service insertion?

================

Next meeting (2 weeks):

- Present the final design of the GBP - ODL work
- ?? John F. to discuss DPDK possibilities
- Other topics, please send to the list if you would like to add it to
the agenda.

================

References:

[1]: https://github.com/iovisor/bpf-docs/blob/master/tsc-meeting-minutes/2015-09-16/iovisor-odl-gbp-module.pdf
[2]: https://github.com/iovisor/bpf-docs/blob/master/tsc-meeting-minutes/2015-09-16/iomodules-slides.pdf
[3]: https://github.com/iovisor/bpf-docs/blob/master/p4AbstractSwitch.pdf

================

Thanks all, cheers!

Brenden Blanco
bblanco@...

Join iovisor-dev@lists.iovisor.org to automatically receive all group messages.