bps helper functions

riya

Dear developers,

Is it a good idea to export kernel compression/decompression (lib/zlib_*, lib/lz*) as helper functions to enable corresponding use cases? Has this been tried before?

Thanks,
Ashish

Yonghong Song

Hi, Ashish,

It seems that this has not been actively discussed before. Could you
describe your use case?

Thanks!

Yonghong

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 8:11 AM, riya khanna via iovisor-dev
<iovisor-dev@...> wrote:
Dear developers,

Is it a good idea to export kernel compression/decompression (lib/zlib_*,
lib/lz*) as helper functions to enable corresponding use cases? Has this
been tried before?

Thanks,
Ashish

riya

Oh its simply to inspect/filter/drop a compressed application packet in the kernel without incurring network stack processing.

<iovisor-dev@...> wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> Is it a good idea to export kernel compression/decompression (lib/zlib_*,
> lib/lz*) as helper functions to enable corresponding use cases? Has this
> been tried before?
>
> Thanks,
> Ashish

riya

<ping>

<iovisor-dev@...> wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> Is it a good idea to export kernel compression/decompression (lib/zlib_*,
> lib/lz*) as helper functions to enable corresponding use cases? Has this
> been tried before?
>
> Thanks,
> Ashish

Yonghong Song

Ashish,

Some comments below.

wrote:

Oh its simply to inspect/filter/drop a compressed application packet in
the kernel without incurring network stack processing.
Could you have more details here? Maybe have a skeleton of bpf program
to at least see how this helper will be used? A lot of compression
happens in the application
and kernel chops them into TCP stream. Or you are talking IPcomp protocol?
I am not sure how bpf program could do decompression based on a single packet.
Further, do we need todecompress the whole packet or on ly part of the packet?

Yonghong