minutes: IO Visor TSC/Dev Meeting
Thank you for joining the call today. Here are my notes from the discussion.
=== Discussion ===
* Plan to tag release to coincide with kernel 5.0
* Speaking this weekend at SCaLE in Los Angeles
* LLVM work
* compile once - run anywhere WIP
* support for static variables
* Global data support work in kernel continues
* Ability to lock maps as read-only
* bugfixes after merge window
* Some thoughts on future work of BPF
* especially with introduction of BTF
* overall needs concerted effort to improve debuggability
* BTF for programs itself with source/type/layout information
* structures for maps and global data
* suggest to always require type information
(already turned on by default in bcc and supported by llvm)
* Some extra hoops to jump through for driver embedded BPF
* to be enabled with a sysctl
* kernel support is ready
* some long tail of support - e.g. systemd has raw assembly BPF
* kconfig option - eventual deprecation
* if kernel is default strict, llvm should automatically emit BTF as well
* memcg accounting patch status?
* Daniel - still being worked on
* proposal to enable the same accounting for verifier memory
* helps to enable verifier multithreading
* question regarding global data atomicity
* Daniel - requires read once / write once instructions to work properly
* some todo work on documentation, interpreter + jit implementations
* depends on architecture (machine word size guarantees only)
* which llvm release supports BTF
* landed in December - will be in 8.0, better in 9.0
* working on tutorial for xdp at netdev
* soliciting feedback
* request to devote some time in the next meeting to iron out some XDP issues
* please send an agend in reply to the reminder email before next call
* prepare discussion over email in between time
=== Attendees ===
Hi Guys,toggle quoted message. . .
My agenda for next meeting:
1) unifying and centralizing XDP statistics accounting .
2) XDP resource management, User API .
3) XDP meta data via btf (in kernel BTF registration).
4) all of the above issues share one common problem, which is the lack
of a unified user interface
without it, We really can't make a real progress.
I just sent a proposal  for away to achieve the unified interface,
please look it up and let me know your thoughts.
 Subject: "[RFC][Proposal] BPF Control MAP"
On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 12:51 PM Brenden Blanco <bblanco@...> wrote: