Porposed XDP summit

Tom Herbert <tom@...>

Hello,

We would like to hold a one day XDP developer summit in late June to
review progress, identify major items that need to be done, and to
identify and resolve any other open issues. The discussion will be
about the current XDP development efforts, so anyone who is currently
working on it (or planning to imminently work on it) is invited. We
are planning to have a more general introduction to XDP at netdev and
other venues in the next upcoming months.

The proposed date would be June 23 and the we are planning to hold
this in Northern California.

If you are interested and able attend please email me so we can get a
preliminary count of attendees.

Thanks,
Tom

Brenden Blanco <bblanco@...>

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:32 AM, Tom Herbert via iovisor-dev <iovisor-dev@...> wrote:
Hello,

We would like to hold a one day XDP developer summit in late June to
review progress, identify major items that need to be done, and to
identify and resolve any other open issues. The discussion will be
about the current XDP development efforts, so anyone who is currently
working on it (or planning to imminently work on it) is invited. We
are planning to have a more general introduction to XDP at netdev and
other venues in the next upcoming months.

The proposed date would be June 23 and the we are planning to hold
this in Northern California.

Thanks Tom for kicking this off. Looking forward to it.

If you are interested and able attend please email me so we can get a
preliminary count of attendees.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom Herbert <tom@...>

A couple more details:
- Most likely we will be hosting this at the Facebook campus in Menlo Park
- Proposed date is June 23, 10am-5pm
- We'll put an agenda together this week, if you have any particular
topics you'd like to see on it please email me

Tom

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:32 AM, Tom Herbert <tom@...> wrote:
Hello,

We would like to hold a one day XDP developer summit in late June to
review progress, identify major items that need to be done, and to
identify and resolve any other open issues. The discussion will be
about the current XDP development efforts, so anyone who is currently
working on it (or planning to imminently work on it) is invited. We
are planning to have a more general introduction to XDP at netdev and
other venues in the next upcoming months.

The proposed date would be June 23 and the we are planning to hold
this in Northern California.

If you are interested and able attend please email me so we can get a
preliminary count of attendees.

Thanks,
Tom

Pere Monclus

could we do it the week before? or if it has to be that week, the 20th?

Tom Herbert <tom@...>

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Pere Monclus <pmonclus@...> wrote:
could we do it the week before? or if it has to be that week, the 20th?
Hmm, 23rd seems to be a good date so far. Having it earlier gives less
time to prepare and this is still before netfilter conference so we
should have some talking points for XDP there. Is there a conflict
with a conference or event?

Tom

<iovisor-dev@...> wrote:

[...]

Jesper Dangaard Brouer

On Tue, 31 May 2016 12:14:12 -0700
Tom Herbert via iovisor-dev <iovisor-dev@...> wrote:

A couple more details:

- Most likely we will be hosting this at the Facebook campus in Menlo Park
- Proposed date is June 23, 10am-5pm
- We'll put an agenda together this week, if you have any particular
topics you'd like to see on it please email me
[...]

wrote:
Hello,

We would like to hold a one day XDP developer summit in late June to
review progress, identify major items that need to be done, and to
identify and resolve any other open issues. The discussion will be
about the current XDP development efforts, so anyone who is
currently working on it (or planning to imminently work on it) is
invited. We are planning to have a more general introduction to XDP
at netdev and other venues in the next upcoming months.

The proposed date would be June 23 and the we are planning to hold
this in Northern California.

If you are interested and able attend please email me so we can get
a preliminary count of attendees.
I'm very interested in the project. But it is not likely I can attend
the mini-conference due to travel funding restrictions. (I will be
attending netfilter workshop, the next week, will any XDP people?).

An important topic I would like to bring up, is how we make the RX
pages writable. The current XDP approach violates the DMA API. My
proposal is to keep the pages DMA mapped and recycle them.

I call this the page-pool:
http://people.netfilter.org/hawk/presentations/MM-summit2016/generic_page_pool_mm_summit2016.pdf

My proposal is two fold: 1) is makes the RX pages writable, and 2) it
makes page access faster.

For the single-legged load balancing router scenario, I think we can
come up with a local driver hack, until I have my solution ready. Just
so you don't stall on my page-pool work.

--
Best regards,
Jesper Dangaard Brouer

Tom Herbert <tom@...>

wrote:
[...]

Yeah, we will definitely miss you. There will be some XDP people at
the summit so I think you can syc up with them.

An important topic I would like to bring up, is how we make the RX
pages writable. The current XDP approach violates the DMA API. My
proposal is to keep the pages DMA mapped and recycle them.
Definitely important. It might make sense to discuss on the next IOvisor call.

Tom

Keith Burns <alagalah@...>

On Tue, May 31, 2016, 11:32 AM Tom Herbert via iovisor-dev <iovisor-dev@...> wrote:
Hello,

We would like to hold a one day XDP developer summit in late June to
review progress, identify major items that need to be done, and to
identify and resolve any other open issues. The discussion will be
about the current XDP development efforts, so anyone who is currently
working on it (or planning to imminently work on it) is invited. We
are planning to have a more general introduction to XDP at netdev and
other venues in the next upcoming months.

The proposed date would be June 23 and the we are planning to hold
this in Northern California.

If you are interested and able attend please email me so we can get a
preliminary count of attendees.

Definitely in.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom Herbert <tom@...>

Hi,

I created a spreadsheet for summit attendees and have added those who
have responded so far. Please visit and fill out the rest of the
information (if are going but are not listed please add yourself).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CwsM8iYOUkIuKCJp1GPpW9_QoGJqZAwurW0qSFSe0i8/edit#gid=0

Thanks,
Tom

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Tom Herbert <tom@...> wrote:
[...]

Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...>

I might be able to come. Haven't been to the Brocade office in a while, kind of overdue for a trip south.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Tom Herbert via iovisor-dev <iovisor-dev@...> wrote:
Hi,

I created a spreadsheet for summit attendees and have added those who
have responded so far. Please visit and fill out the rest of the
information (if are going but are not listed please add yourself).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CwsM8iYOUkIuKCJp1GPpW9_QoGJqZAwurW0qSFSe0i8/edit#gid=0

Thanks,
Tom

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Tom Herbert <tom@...> wrote:
> A couple more details:
>  - Most likely we will be hosting this at the Facebook campus in Menlo Park
>  - Proposed date is June 23, 10am-5pm
>  - We'll put an agenda together this week, if you have any particular
> topics you'd like to see on it please email me
>
> Tom
>

> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:32 AM, Tom Herbert <tom@...> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We would like to hold a one day XDP developer summit in late June to
>> review progress, identify major items that need to be done, and to
>> identify and resolve any other open issues. The discussion will be
>> about the current XDP development efforts, so anyone who is currently
>> working on it (or planning to imminently work on it) is invited. We
>> are planning to have a more general introduction to XDP at netdev and
>> other venues in the next upcoming months.
>>
>> The proposed date would be June 23 and the we are planning to hold
>> this in Northern California.
>>
>> If you are interested and able attend please email me so we can get a
>> preliminary count of attendees.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tom

Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...>

More people from Brocade may come as well

Joe Stringer

There's a couple of us in the OVS space that are interested in the
potential for an eBPF/XDP datapath, so I'd like to join the
discussions.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Joe Stringer <joe@...> wrote:
There's a couple of us in the OVS space that are interested in the
potential for an eBPF/XDP datapath, so I'd like to join the
discussions.
Awesome, looks like you already signed up on the spreadsheet.

Thanks,
Tom

<iovisor-dev@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Stephen,

Sounds good.

Can you please add your information to the spreadsheet?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CwsM8iYOUkIuKCJp1GPpW9_QoGJqZAwurW0qSFSe0i8/edit?usp=gmail#gid=0

Thanks,
Tom