Topics

Upcoming Migraton to Groups.io

Brendan OSullivan <bosullivan@...>

Greetings IO Visor community!

The Linux Foundation has connected with a new vendor called Groups.io, which provides mailing list services in a simple but modern interface. Groups.io offers all of the capabilities of our existing Mailman mailing service plus additional community tools that make it an exceptional service solution.

We are planning to migrate your existing mailing list archives and user lists to Groups.io on Wednesday June 6th starting at 9:30am PST.

The migration will include details on subscriber preferences and owner or moderator privileges.

Owners and Moderators: Please be aware pending memberships or posts (and similar pending moderation actions) in Mailman will not be preserved in this migration. We recommend re-checking for any such pending decisions and taking action on them within Mailman one hour prior to the start of the migration window.

During the migration window you will still be able to access the archives, however the delivery of messages sent to the mailing lists during this window will be delayed until after the migration of the archives and list members are complete. We will turn off new list signups during the migration window, then this functionality will be restored once it is complete.

FAQs

What are the key differences between Mailman and Groups.io?

  • Groups.io has a modern interface, robust user security model, and interactive, searchable archives
  • Groups.io provides advanced features including muting threads and integrations with modern tools like GitHub, Slack, and Trello
  • Groups.io also has optional extras like a shared calendar, polling, chat, a wiki, and more
  • Groups.io uses a concept of subgroups, where members first join the project “group” (a master list), then they choose the specific “subgroup” lists they want to subscribe to

How do the costs compare?

The Linux Foundation can provide project-branded Groups.io accounts to projects for less cost than managing our in-house Mailman systems.

How is the experience different for me as a list moderator or participant?

In many ways, it is very much the same. You will still find the main group at your existing URL and sub-groups equate to the more focused mailing lists based on the community’s needs. Here is an example of main group and sub-group URL patterns, and their respective emails:

https://lists.projectname.org/g/main

https://lists.projectname.org/g/devs

https://lists.projectname.org/g/ci

main@...

devs@...

ci@...

What is different is Groups.io’s simple but highly functional UI that will make the experience of moderating or participating in the community discussions more enjoyable.

Where do I find the settings and owner/moderator tools?

To change settings while in a group or subgroup, left click “Admin” from the side menu.

Then from “Admin” you can select:

  • “Settings” to change overall settings for a group, including privacy and message policy settings.

  • “Members” to manage people within a group, including adjusting their role and privileges

  • “Pending” to view messages pending moderation

If you’d like to learn more about using Groups.io , please reference their help documentation. If you need assistance with Groups.io, please email helpdesk@... for The Linux Foundation’s helpdesk.

Cheers!
Brendan OSullivan

Helpdesk Analyst

Brenden Blanco

FYI for the iovisor-dev subscribers. Alexei and I were given a heads
up on this ahead of time and given a chance to find a service other
than groups.io, but it seemed like a reasonable change that LF is
making so we decided to let this proceed. Hopefully it works out fine!
This will likely be happening to other LF mailers as well.

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 2:18 PM Brendan OSullivan via iovisor-dev
<iovisor-dev@...> wrote:

[...]

The Linux Foundation

Kenny Paul

All,

Sorry about the timing of the announcement coming out immediately after the bi-weekly meeting.

This is indeed something that we are doing across the entire spectrum of LF Projects and we have already migrated many other Projects from Mailman to Groups.io.

There should be no issues here.

I am happy to answer any question about the transition. Feel free to post them here or email me directly.

Best Regards,
-kenny

Kenny Paul, Technical Program Manager, The Linux Foundation
kpaul@..., 510.766.5945
San Francisco Bay Area, Pacific Time Zone

Message: 1

Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 14:26:54 -0700

From: Brenden Blanco <bblanco@...>

To: iovisor-dev <iovisor-dev@...>

Subject: Re: [iovisor-dev] Upcoming Migraton to Groups.io

[...]

End of iovisor-dev Digest, Vol 33, Issue 11