XDP at netdev1.2

Tom Herbert <tom@...>

Hi,

I requested a workshop at netdev (Oct. 5-7 in Tokyo) to present and
showcase XDP. The goal of this is to start providing the public
information about XDP and to start talking about real world use cases
and development.

I am looking for presenters of various topics in XDP. The content
might be similar to what we had at XDP summit, but the target audience
should be considered to be potentail users and programmers of XDP as
opposed to developers working on the infrastructure.

If you would like to present please let me know. I will put together
the agenda over next couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Tom

Yunsong

Sounds great.

What we're doing is to finalize a version of CETH and get it reviewed by the community in the next a few weeks, and I can talk about it in detail.

The other thing on my mind is to test and show some user cases, for example your LB and router. Will you put your code somewhere so that we can try it out?

Do you have a link to the documents presented at XDP Summit?

Thanks,
Yunsong

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 3:02 PM, Yunsong Lu <Yunsong.Lu@...> wrote:
Sounds great.

What we're doing is to finalize a version of CETH and get it reviewed by the community in the next a few weeks, and I can talk about it in detail.
Hi Yunsong,

Can you tell me how much time you'd like?

Tom

[...]

I can run from 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on what's the overall plan.

Any demo plan? We're discussing what to demo there.

Thanks,
Yunsong

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Yunsong Lu <Yunsong.Lu@...> wrote:
I can run from 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on what's the overall plan.
We have 1 1/2 hr. so will need to limit to 30 min.

Any demo plan? We're discussing what to demo there.
Yes, a demo would be great!

[...]

Thomas Graf

<iovisor-dev@...>:
Hi,

I requested a workshop at netdev (Oct. 5-7 in Tokyo) to present and
showcase XDP. The goal of this is to start providing the public
information about XDP and to start talking about real world use cases
and development.

I am looking for presenters of various topics in XDP. The content
might be similar to what we had at XDP summit, but the target audience
should be considered to be potentail users and programmers of XDP as
opposed to developers working on the infrastructure.
I would love to demo Cilium to provide some context. Hopefully by then
we will have the loadbalancer running on XDP but I think it will be a
valuable demo to provide some context for the kernel work either way.

Time requirement is about 20-30 minutes, depends a bit on much context
has already been provided in the session.

Thomas

Tom Herbert <tom@...>

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Thomas Graf <tgraf@...> wrote:
<iovisor-dev@...>:
Hi,

I requested a workshop at netdev (Oct. 5-7 in Tokyo) to present and
showcase XDP. The goal of this is to start providing the public
information about XDP and to start talking about real world use cases
and development.

I am looking for presenters of various topics in XDP. The content
might be similar to what we had at XDP summit, but the target audience
should be considered to be potentail users and programmers of XDP as
opposed to developers working on the infrastructure.
I would love to demo Cilium to provide some context. Hopefully by then
we will have the loadbalancer running on XDP but I think it will be a
valuable demo to provide some context for the kernel work either way.

Time requirement is about 20-30 minutes, depends a bit on much context
has already been provided in the session.
That's great.

The way it's looking is that we'll have 1 1/2 hours for the XDP
workshop. We're going to have two XDP HW talks (Barefoot and
Netronome) that are going to be done as separate talks. So for the
workshop we will try to devote most of the time to use cases and
demos.

So far we'd have:
- Ceth
- Cilium
- ILA router/load balancer

We should also have an overview and introduction to XDP. So I'm
thinking 30 minutes for intro/overview then 1 hr. for the above (e.g.
20 minutes for each). What I'm hoping is that we can snag a few people
to get really interested in this and then maybe have some followup
hallway discussions on potential projects and contribution (very
import everyone attending wear their XDP T-shirt, I'll bring some
extras :-) )

Tom